New Building Standards Released, Meeting with DRP Rep

August 19, 2013 by CRC Action Group in News

The following statements were released by the Alberta Government today. While we still have a number of concerns and are still actively pursuing our agenda of getting government commitment to flood prevention infrastructure, preserving the integrity of our communities, restoring property loss/values we are incredibly encouraged with what the Provincial Government has released today. It clearly demonstrates that collectively we have been able to have our voices heard and that the government is listening to our feedback.

We had a phone call with Andre Corbould, Director of Southern Alberta Recovery Task Force in order to get further clarity on these and other matters. As summary of this phone call follows these Alberta Government information statements.

Alberta Government PRESS RELEASE

August 16, 2013

Redford government responds to Albertans’ feedback on flood policy

In response to input from Albertans, the Redford government has adjusted recent policies on land titles and minimum individual flood mitigation measures.

“Since we introduced our flood mitigation program to protect homeowners from future floods a few weeks ago, some common questions have been raised,” said Rick Fraser, Associate Minister of Regional Recovery and Reconstruction. “We’ve heard Albertans loud and clear and have taken their feedback to adjust the policy.”

A ‘location notice’ on land titles to identify all properties in the province that are in a floodway or flood fringe is no longer planned. The province is working with the real estate industry to identify other ways consumers can receive the flood-related information they will need to inform home purchases. Future buyers can also check the property on the flood mapping hazard website.

Plans for a ‘Disaster Recovery Program notice’ have not changed. This notice will be placed on the land title of properties where future flood-related disaster eligibility is at stake. It will simply state that funding was received. For property owners in the flood fringe, the notice will be removed from the land title once minimum mitigation requirements have been met. For property owners in a floodway, the notice will remain on the land title if Disaster Recovery Program funding was provided to inform future owners that no additional funding will be available in future floods.

Minor modifications to the existing minimum individual mitigation measures have also been made to simplify the rebuilding process for Albertans. These standards are designed to minimize basement damage resulting from future floods. Additional funding is available through the Disaster Recovery Program for homeowners to meet these requirements.

“We want to help property owners get their homes back to normal as quickly as possible while ensuring the property is protected from future floods,” said Associate Minister Fraser. “These changes will make mitigation easier and more efficient.”

Details on land title notices and minimum individual flood mitigation measures can be found in the backgrounder or at

Our government was elected to keep building Alberta, to live within its means and to fight to open new markets for Alberta’s resources. We will continue to deliver the responsible change Albertans voted for.

Alberta Government FAQ

August 16, 2013

FAQs for updated Alberta flood recovery policies

What are the minor modifications that were made to the existing minimum individual mitigation measures?

Modifications to the minimum mitigation policy include:

  • Expanding the choices to safely disconnect power by installing an outdoor service disconnect switch between the meter and the main household panel. This switch may be located on the exterior of the building or the garage.
  • Expanding the choices for acceptable basement finish materials to include disposable materials for ease of repair.

How will future buyers know if the home is in the flood fringe and if it will qualify for future Disaster Recovery Program?

  •  Future home buyers can check the property on the flood mapping hazard website. In addition, the Government of Alberta will work with the real estate sector to share flood mapping information with prospective buyers.
  • If a home that received Disaster Recovery Program funding following the recent floods is rebuilt in a floodway or if the minimum mitigation measures in the flood fringe are not met, a notice will stay on the land title stating that funding was received and the property will not be eligible for future flood-related disaster program funding.

When will the Disaster Recovery Program notice on the land title be removed?

  • The Disaster Recovery Program funding notice will be removed from land titles when it is certified that the requisite flood mitigation measures have been made in the flood fringe. Homes that no longer have a notification on their land title will be eligible for future flood-related Disaster Recovery Program funding.
  • If a property is located in a floodway and received Disaster Recovery Program funding as a result of damages caused by the recent floods, the Disaster Recovery Program funding notice remains on the land title so that future homebuyers are aware that funding was received so the property is not eligible for future provincial program funding.
  • Property-owners who received an advance Disaster Recovery Program payment may return the payment in order to avoid the Disaster Recovery Program notice.

Released August 16th On

Flood mitigation measures are designed to reduce the effects of future flood damage on your buildings by minimizing moisture damage or allowing for easy disposal of flood-damaged materials.

Albertans who experienced flood damage in flood fringes can use Disaster Recovery Program funds to install flood mitigation measures to your homes and businesses.

These flood mitigation measures apply to you if you:

  • own property in a flood fringe area
  • had damage caused by the June 2013 floods
  • are eligible for the 2013 Disaster Recovery Program (DRP) in southern Alberta or Wood Buffalo

Floodways post the highest risks to property, human health and human safety and the environment. No development is recommended here, and will not be allowed there in the future.

Flood fringes can support some development, like housing, if flood mitigation measures are used.

Flood mitigation for homes and buildings

  • Flood damage is most likely to happen in basements. This area is the focus of the minimum mitigation measures that property owners in flood fringes should take.

» Flood Mitigation Building Code Standards STANDATA (August 15, 2013)


  • Install backflow prevention devices to protect against sewer back up.


  • Seal openings around piping, wiring and conduits to prevent/minimize water seepage.


Minimize safety risks by providing a safe means to de-energize and re-energize the building without having to access a flooded basement. Solutions could include:

  • Re-locate main electric panel out of the basement and isolate circuits that feed basement outlets.
  • Install weatherproof disconnect switch on the outside of the building
  • Install a service panel in the garage and feed the house as a subpanel.


Homeowners have the choice to:

  • Leave the basement unfinished;
  • Use moisture resistant and cleanable materials; or
  • Use disposable materials for easy repair.

The following are examples of moisture resistant and cleanable materials that can be used for basement finishes. This is not an exhaustive list and does not prevent the use of other materials accepted by local building officials:

Walls and ceilings (construction materials)

brick, metal, concrete, concrete block, porcelain, slate, glass block, stone, ceramic, and clay tile, cement board, reinforced concrete (instead of drywall), water resistant non-paper faced gypsum exterior sheathing wall panel, steel, polyester epoxy paint, pressure treated lumber or steel studs (for framing), pressure treated and marine grade plywood, foam and closed-cell insulation (instead of batt insulation)


concrete, concrete tile and precast concrete, latex or bituminous flooring, ceramic, clay terrazzo, vinyl and rubber sheets and tiles, pressure treated wood


metal doors, fibreglass or vinyl doors

An engineer or architect can design measures that are appropriate for your home or small business. The expenses for such additional measures may be eligible under the DRP.


When making repairs, ensure you or your contractor obtains work permits required by your municipality and have the work inspected. You will need these permits to prove the mitigation standards have been met.

» Tips on finding a qualified contractor.

How to access funding

To access flood mitigation funding, eligible flood-fringe property owners should apply to the Disaster Recovery Program.

If you cannot afford to pay for repairs upfront, you may be eligible for the following assistance:

Major repairs: arrangements can be made for the contractor to bill DRP directly.

Minor repairs: receive a flat-rate payment based on industry standards, which can be used to pay a contractor.

Please contact your DRP agent for more information.

Land titles

A ‘Disaster Recovery Program’ notice will be placed on your land title if your property:

  • is located on a floodway or a flood fringe and
  • the property used 2013 DRP funding to rebuild or repair

Only properties in floodways and flood fringes that accessed DRP assistance will have this notice.

Removing land title notices

Flood fringe: the DRP notice will be removed if the property owner submits proof of flood mitigation to the Land Titles office.

Floodway: the DRP notice will remain on the land title to inform future owners that no additional funding will be available in future floods.

Flood mitigation for communities

An advisory panel struck earlier this month is working to develop community flood mitigation guidelines.

Summary of Clarifying Conversation between Andre Corbould and CRCAG

We spoke to Mr. Corbould this morning and were able to clarify a few matters.

Title notification now only relates to homes that have received DRP funding. There will not be any general notification regarding floodfringe or floodway.

  • There will be a way for you to reverse you DRP application if you choose not to access funds.
  • Materials to be used in the basement will be recommended but optional. I asked specifically if this means that using carpet and drywall will not disentitle you to future funding and was told yes.
  • NEW FLOODWAY rules are being worked on. Expect to hear more on this in coming weeks.
  • The Allan Markin lead advisory panel and the Provincial Government are working hard on solutions to help prevent flooding of this severity.  We are told to expect more information in coming weeks and that money has indeed been allocated for this expense.